Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russ McBride
Subject Re: PostgreSQL On the Mac? OS9 or OSX?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Israel,

The documentation I saw at one point does list OS X as one of the
officially supported platforms, basically I think just because PG
runs on FreeBSD and OS X has got a FreeBSD core, more or less.  I got
PG running on OS X (10.0.3) without any problems other than those
attributable to my glaring lack of Unix skills.  Note that during the
installation I wasn't able to create the user, "postgres", in the
command line, but had to do it using the nice gui tools built into OS
X.  Note also that the following command didn't work:

gmake install

and that I had to instead type:

gmake install-all-headers

It was a bit of a pain to get PG installed with jdbc support because
it involves installing Ant and an XML parser. Somehow, miraculously,
it all seems to be working, although I haven't been able to get the
pgaccess client program working yet, I think perhaps because I
haven't go the tcl path properly set up.

Best of luck,

>In looking over the documentation, I haven't seen any evidence of PostgreSQL
>working on the Mac.  Is this the case, or am I missing something.  Has
>anyone heard of it ever being used on a mac?
>
>Thanks,
>
>~Israel~

Russell McBride
Computer/AI/Cognitive Science Senior Consultant
    Psyex Research & Consulting
    951 Cornell Ave.
    Albany, CA  94706
    www.psyex.com